Many people don’t realize that the ticket they receive roadside has resulted in a misdemeanor charge until they go to court and face arraignment. While it’s true most tickets are Civil Infractions, non-criminal in nature, traffic related criminal charges can result in incarceration like any other misdemeanor. Also, these are not to be mistaken for traffic related felonies, like Fleeing and Eluding or Vehicular Manslaughter.
The most recognized traffic crime is Driving Under the Influence (DUI), a charge for which there have been many books written. However, other common traffic crimes include:
- Attached Tag not Assigned
- Driving on a Suspended, Cancelled, or Revoked License (Knowingly)
- Driving in Violation of Driving Restrictions
- Driving with Expired Tag, More than 6 Months
- Expired Driver’s License, More than 4 Months
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- No Motorcycle Endorsement
- No Valid Driver’s License
- No Valid Registration
- Permitting an Unauthorized Person to Drive
- Reckless Driving
- Racing on a Highway
Many of these crimes have specific defenses which may be the difference between a conviction and an acquittal. Don’t take a Traffic Crime charge lying down. Our attorneys have over 30 years of experience protecting the rights of Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach County residents. If you or a loved one stands accused of a traffic or other criminal act, call our office to set up a free consultation.